If your iPhone won’t turn on or becomes stuck, try these five useful tips to bring it back to life. Most of the steps in this article will also work on an iPad or iPod touch.
1. Put it on charging and wait few minutes
One of the most common reasons behind an unresponsive iPhone is the completely drained battery. Plug it on charging and use the original Apple lightning cable for it. Normally, after a few minutes, you will see the charging screen with an almost empty battery on your iPhone.
After seeing the screen above iPhone will turn on automatically once it is charged to a certain level.
2. Clean your Lightning/charging port
If your phone is not charging it is sometimes worth checking your device’s Lightning/charging port. Lint and other debris from our pockets or purses gets stuck in this port and can build up over time.
Using normal toothpick, gently remove the lint. You will be amazed how much can get stuck in the port and this also might fix any charging issues you might have.
3. Check your Lightning cable and charger
If you find that your iPhone still won’t turn on, then try charging your iPhone with another cable and another charger.
You can also try to ask your parents, your siblings or any of your friends if you could borrow their iPhone so that you can try out charging their iPhone with your own cable and charger.
If your cable doesn’t work with their iPhone, then you’ve already found the problem.
4. Flush the RAM on your iPhone
By emptying the RAM (random access memory), we can restore performance and thereby improve iPhone speed and fix any starting issues.
If you’re on an iPhone 6S or older
Step 1: Go ahead and press and hold your Power button together with your Home button at the same time. Hold it for at least 20 seconds until the Apple logo appears on the screen.
If you’re on an iPhone 7 or 7 Plus
Step 1: Go ahead and press the Power button and your Volume Down button at the same time. Hold it for at least 20 seconds until the Apple logo appears on the screen.
If you’re on an iPhone 8, 8 Plus or on iPhone X
Step 1: Quickly press and release your Volume Up button then press and release your Volume Down button.
Step 2: Then, press and hold your Power button (iPhone 8 or 8 Plus) or your Side button (iPhone X). Hold it until the Apple logo appears on the screen.
5. Perform DFU Restore
DFU or Device Firmware Upgrade mode allows all devices to be restored from any state. This is the deepest type of restore that you can do on an iPhone and you will lose your phone data unless you have it all backed up.
Caution: If you haven’t upgraded your OS to the latest compatible version, then a DFU Restore will upgrade your device and it is not reversible once completed.
How To Put An iPhone In DFU Mode
- Plug your iPhone into your computer and open iTunes. It doesn’t matter if your iPhone is on or off.
- Press and hold the Sleep / Wake Button and Home Button (iPhone 6s and below) or the volume down button (iPhone 7) together for 8 seconds.
- After 8 seconds, release the Sleep / Wake Button but continue to hold the Home Button (iPhone 6s and below) or the volume down button (iPhone 7) until iTunes says “iTunes has detected an iPhone in recovery mode.”
- Let go of the Home Button or volume down button. Your iPhone’s display will be completely black if you’ve successfully entered DFU mode. If it’s not, try again from the beginning.
- Restore your iPhone using iTunes.
How To Put An iPhone 8, 8 Plus, Or X In DFU Mode
- To DFU restore your iPhone X, 8, or 8 Plus, quickly press and release the Volume Up button, then quickly press and release the volume down button, and then press and hold the side button until the screen goes black.
- As soon as the screen turns black, press and hold the volume down button while continuing to hold the side button.
- After 5 seconds, release the side button but continue to hold the volume down button until your iPhone shows up in iTunes.
- As soon as it appears in iTunes, release the volume button. Ta-da! Your iPhone is in DFU mode.
Exiting DFU Mode
To exit DFU Mode, simply force restart your device.
- For iPhone 6s and below, hold the Home button and the Lock button until the device reboots.
- For iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus, hold down the Side button and Volume Down button until the device reboots.
- For iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, and iPhone X, quick-press the Volume Up button, then quick-press the Volume Down button, then hold down the Side button until the device reboots.